Sunday 8 January 2012

The Warren Folkestone Kent




Groynes Long Exposure 10 stop ND filter

Today i went to a place called The Warren at Folkestone in Kent with a good friend of mine and fellow photographer Barry Stewart. The weather was a little overcast and grey with no real detail in the sky, for me i always find black and white works really well on days like this.

When we arrived the place was almost deserted with just the odd dog walker around. This place is fantastic for photographers with old groynes,rocks and drift wood around. My tip is to visit about two hours after high tide. This will then give you access to all the groynes and rocks around and the chance to photograph them as the tide is on its way out.

I set up the camera on a tripod with following settings:
  • Bulb mode
  • Aperture F/8.0
  • ISO 100
  • Manual Focus
Once i had the shot composed i got focus on auto focus and then selected Manual focus to stop the camera from hunting . I attached my B+W 10 stop ND filter and took my IR remote to fire the camera.
I started out with a exposure of 60 sec viewed it on the LCD and adjusted exposure time as i saw fit. The above shot was at 70 sec exposure.

I do find that the B+W stopper does give a slight magenta hue but is very easily corrected in lightroom before starting to edit in CS5.

If you own a iphone you can download a free app called Long Exposure Calculator, i use it and find it very helpful as a starting point, i then adjust the exposure to get the result i am looking for.Or after a little search i found a good explanation and a few charts here.
As ever any questions or comments please feel free to use the comments section thanks



My Web | My Twitter | My Facebook | My Flickr

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic shot. Saw your comments on Flickr and came over to your blog. Very instructional for novices like me! Love your pictures. I have a lot to learn! I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad someone has found it of use thanks for the comment hope you find more of use in the future. Photography is a constant learning curve even for the very best photographers so just keep shooting mate your own feedback will see you keep improving.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, would love to hear them thanks for looking